Frequently Asked Questions

Why train in Florida?

Southeastern Florida is ideal for instrument training. The weather is usually good, but not so good that we can’t practice flying in cloud or perform approaches in actual conditions. We believe strongly that instrument students should have for-real cloud time before they earn their license.

What kinds of airspace do you have?

Our area contains four kinds of airspace within 50 miles of KLNA. Being non-tower, KLNA is inside class G with an overlying shelf of Class C belonging to Palm Beach International (KPBI) and is surrounded by Class E. There is class D airspace at KPBI, Boca Raton (KBCT), Pompano (KPMP) and Fort Lauderdale Executive (KFXE). South of KFXE lies the Class B airspace surrounding Miami. There are also non-tower approaches available at Pahokee (KPHK) and North County Park (F45). You will learn how to operate in Class B, C, D, and E airspace.

What kinds of approaches will I fly?

Having many airports nearby offers enormous variety and represents a huge advantage to the instrument student. You will train efficiently because there are so many approaches in the local area. You will fly all kinds: VOR, VOR/DME, ILS/localizer, GPS approaches with and without vertical guidance, perhaps a back course approach in Melbourne and an NDB or two.

The holder of an instrument rating is expected to be able to fly any of these approaches along with appropriate departure procedures and arrivals. The entire area is blanketed by approach control service from Miami and Palm Beach. There is a lot of training in this area, and controllers are cooperative.

Will Fred on Flying instructors come to me?

Yes. We will travel to you. It is best if you have passed your instrument written knowledge test, but we will work with you to help you pass this demanding examination.

What equipment do I need if you come to me?

You must have a suitable airplane properly equipped for IFR. We will need to see in advance proper paperwork: copy of your valid Airworthiness Certificate, evidence of a current annual inspection, evidence of current insurance, registration and the first page of your in-airplane POH and weight and balance page. We will also need to see a proper pitot/static/transponder check within the last 24 calendar months and an ELT check.

The aircraft needs at least two VORs, one with glideslope, preferably plus DME capability. A GPS is helpful and if IFR-approved, so much the better.

What is the cost if you come to me?

Billing is on a half-day or daily rate basis for local airports. Local airports include KLNA, KPBI, F45, KSUA, KBCT, KFXE, KPMP, KFPR, KVRB, KPHK.

For all other locations, billing is on a daily rate plus expenses for instructor travel and subsistence as detailed in our Pricing page.

Do you have airplanes available?

Yes. We have access to a fleet of late-model Cessna 172 and 182 aircraft. You have four choices:

  • Round-dial Cessna 172s without GPS
  • Cessna 172s with IFR-certified Bendix/King KLN-94 GPS' and KAP-140 autopilots
  • Cessna 172s with Garmin G1000 navigation systems and Bendix/King KAP-140 autopilots
  • Cessna 182s with Garmin G1000 navigation systems and integrated GFC700 autopilots

What is the cost for your airplanes?

Rates on our aircraft range from $125 to $200 per hour depending on the equipment. All rates include fuel. See the Pricing Page for more info.

Should I train under FAA Part 61 or Part 141?

If you hold a private or commercial airplane certificate and have more than 50 hours of cross-country PIC time, then you should train under Part 61. If you do not have at least 50 hours of cross-country PIC, then you should train under Part 141. We can work with you either way.